Yemen’s defense minister, army chief survive base attack that killed 8
Yemen’s defense minister and army chief of staff survived a ballistic missile attack by Houthi rebels in the eastern Maarib province on Tuesday, according to a military source.
The attack took place at a military base of the Saudi-backed government in Marib province, northeast of the capital Sanaa.
Eight others, including the son and a nephew of Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Sagheer bin Aziz, were killed in the attack, according to sources.
This occurred during a meeting between Aziz, Defense Minister Mohammed Ali Al-Maqdashi and several Yemeni commanders.
The United Nations has been trying to hold virtual talks between the warring parties to forge a permanent cease-fire, agree on a coordinated coronavirus response and restart peace talks stalled since late 2018.
The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) on Friday said that the coronavirus is spreading throughout the country, which has limited testing capabilities and whose malnourished population has among the world’s lowest immunity levels to disease.
Yemen has been divided between the Saudi-backed government in the south and the Houthi movement based in the north since the group ousted the government from power in the capital, Sanaa, in late 2014, prompting the coalition to intervene a few months later.
The government has reported 249 infections with 48 deaths from the virus, while the Houthis, who hold most of the large population centers, announced four cases with one death, all in Sanaa.
[News] Senior Daesh terrorist Jaburi killed, US calls it an ‘important moment’ in fight against Daesh
Mu‘taz Numan ‘Abd Nayif Najm al-Jaburi, the alleged aide to former Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and one of the senior members of the terrorist organization, was killed on Tuesday.
He had a $5 million bounty on his head by the U.S. State Department.
The militant, who was also known as “Hajji Taysir,” had previously overseen bomb-making for al-Baghdadi and insurgent activities of Daesh.
Jaburi was a member of al-Qaida in Iraq (AQI) before Daesh emerged from the ranks of the al-Qaida terrorist group.
Last year, the U.S. State Department announced that it was offering rewards of up to $5 million for information leading to the capture of three Daesh terrorist leaders, including Jaburi.
Apart from Jaburi, the U.S. is also looking to locate Amir Muhammad Sa’id Abdal-Rahman al-Mawla, also known as Hajji Abdullah, and Sami Jasim Muhammad al-Jaburi, known as Hajji Hamid.
State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said that “this announcement comes at an important time” as the Global Coalition to Defeat Daesh continues to target the remnants of the terrorist group.
Muhammad and Najm al-Jaburi are senior members of Daesh, in addition to being “legacy members” of al-Qaida. Al-Mawla is also a senior member and served as a religious scholar for al-Qaida.
The State Department, on its Rewards for Justice website, called the reward “an important moment” in the fight against Daesh, saying that as the terrorist group is defeated on the battlefield, “we are determined to identify and find the group’s leaders” and “thwart its global ambitions.”